Launch of our SEN History & Archaeology workshops
Big Heritage launch SEN History & Archaeology Workshops
Big Heritage are pleased to announce our new History & Archaeology workshops designed specifically for Special Educational Needs schools in Britain.
Big Heritage have today announced the launch of a new bespoke workshop for Special Educational Needs schools that aims to ensure an inclusive exploration of the history and archaeology of Britain. As a company with considerable experience engaging young people with autism and learning difficulties, we found that pupils with learning difficulties are often overlooked when it comes to history and archaeology and we wanted to create a school-based workshop to address this issue. Whilst content is largely based upon our current archaeology and history model, our SEN workshops have been designed with a delivery approach tailored to the needs of SEN pupils and their teachers.
We have worked in partnership with educational experts, speech therapists, SEN co-ordinators and with the pupils and teachers from Hayfield School in Moreton (recently awarded outstanding by OFSTED) to develop this short workshop - The result is a history and archaeology workshop that explores a timeline of Britain from prehistory through to their own breakfast that morning!
Our workshops are designed for children with learning difficulties by children with learning difficulties themselves – and is now the only workshop of its kind available for SEN schools across the UK.
- Multisensory: hear, touch, taste and smell the history of Britain!
- Structured: We bring our visual time-table board to allow pupils to understand the structure of the session.
- Welcoming: 'Meet' your workshop-coordinator online first with a video introduction to play to the class.
- Academic: Designed by archaeologists and underpinned by research but delivered at the appropriate level.
- Accessible: We are able to use PECS, Makaton and other systems to ensure communication is effective and accessible
- Engaging: Short, fun and relaxed sessions that flex around your own school day and the routines of your pupils.
Teachers can choose a general history workshop covering all periods, or select a time period to suit their learning requirements such as Prehistory, Roman, Saxon, Viking, etc.
The past belongs to everyone, and we are passionate about ensuring Britain's awesome past is available and accessible to all.
To find out more information, or to book a workshop for your SEN school or group, please contact us.